Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Skype Unlimited World

I've been subscribed to a service called Unlimited World in Skype for two years now since my girlfriend left to work in Singapore. I call her every single day while she commutes to and/or from work so she wouldn't feel alone and lonely. Sometimes, I ring her when she's out of her apartment and we just keep the line open just so we could hear each other's voice. She also uses my Skype account to call her relatives in Canada and Hong Kong and I use it to call my family in the United States and we can talk for hours without having to worry about the cost. I have also used my account to call hotels abroad and for some other international calls on some occasions.

So is the $14 monthly subscription worth it? I would say absolutely YES! A $20-a-year magic jack, confined to unlimited calls to only Canada and USA, cannot compare to the usefulness of this subscription for a person like me who knows people from all over the world, which if you think about it, like most Filipinos.

Here is the complete list of the countries I could call with my Unlimited World subscription.

Landlines:

Argentina, Australia, Austria, Beligum, Chile, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia (Moscow and St. Petersburg only), Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, and United Kingdom

Landlines and mobile phones in:

Canada, China, Guam, Hong Kong S.A.R, China, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Thailand, and United States

This is really quite useful for Filipinos because, as I mentioned above, we are scattered all over the world. If you convert the cost of this subscription to pesos, it is roughly the same amount as a local monthly landline subscription, which only offers unlimited local calls. So think about the amount you can save with this. The only downside I see is that the relative working abroad probably wouldn't want their relatives in the Philippines to have easy access to them. I'd be scared too if any of my relatives in the Philippines can call me to ask for money any time of the day, LOL.

If you have a smartphone with a Skype app installed. Then the possibility just became endless. When I'm out of the house and needed to call abroad, I simply whip out my phone, connect to a nearby free wifi, or connect to my prepaid mobile internet, which only costs 10 pesos for 30 minutes (Smart), and presto, a very cheap way to call abroad.

But how do one subscribe to this you say? First, you need a computer, internet connection, and Skype installed of course or a smartphone with a Skype app installed that could connect through wifi or mobile internet. You also a need either a bank account, Paypal account, or a credit card. And lastly, a Skype account. Click here to go directly to their monthly subscription page and choose Unlimited World. One reminder though, this is called a subscription for a reason, because it is. If you want to use it for just one month, you have to cancel your subscription manually so you won't be billed for the next. That's it! Happy Unlimited Calling!

No comments:

Post a Comment